Saturday, March 26, 2011

Planting!

It's almost that time at least so I thought, time to plant!!!!!!!  If your anything like me you have every color thumb except GREEN, but of course thanks to hgtv.com there is always help for the greenless thumbers!  Last year I was very proud of my vegetable garden because well it looked good to me at least.  The problem was my vegetables were not growing as expected.  After checking with local gardeners and reading up on gardens, I realized that I neglected to follow a few key rules!  Rule #1, make sure that your soil is right.  This basically means getting your "dirt" loose enough to allow plants to grow.  In my case, I had lots of clay and it made it really hard for my plants to grow.  Simply buy enough compost, sphagnum peat moss, rotted manures and if drainage is a problem buy some sand.  Make sure that you get your hands dirty and work the soil to make sure that the soil is mixed thoroughly.  By now you probably have a good idea of what type of plants or vegetables you want to plant.  Pay close attention to the space needed between the plants.  One of the first fruits that I have planted are strawberries.  I am attaching a link to HGTV.com with precise instructions since they are the pros!  Have fun gardening!

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/how-to-grow-strawberry-plants/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers